We know what you’re going through. That’s because we’ve been there before, working with parents just like you. For more than 40 years, the birth injury lawyers at Goldberg & Schulkin Law Offices have been helping families fight for their rights throughout Illinois and Chicago. That’s why we want to meet with you.
Cases we handle
Our attorneys and in-house medical staff members are familiar with many different types of birth injuries. We know what symptoms to look for, what questions to ask and how to transform that information in a strong legal case.
Some of the most common birth injury cases we handle involve:
- C-Section Mistakes – Sometimes C-sections are necessary, but C-section mistakes can occur during the surgical procedure because of physician error.
- Errors in Inducing Labor – Mistakes made by medical professionals during labor can result in serious, permanent birth defects.
- Fetal Distress – Fetal distress can refer to several non reassuring signs during pregnancy and delivery.
- Fetal Risk Factors – The position of the fetus, the umbilical cord and other factors can be dangerous for the development of the fetus.
- Gestational Diabetes – Diabetes that develops in the mother during pregnancy can result in premature labor and other issues, resulting in health problems with the baby.
- Hypoxia – Hypoxia, or lack of oxygen, must be diagnosed and treated immediately.
- Incorrect Use of Forceps and Vacuum – Mistakes made by medical professionals using these devices during child birth can cause permanent injuries.
- Jaundice and Hyperbilirubinemia – Yellow skin due to liver disease or other medical conditions can cause jaundice. Hyperbilirubinemia stems from too much bilirubin in the blood.
- Maternal Risk Factors – From existing medical conditions involving the mother to lifestyle factors, age and more, the fetus can face risk factors that result in birth injuries.
- Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome – Pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome are serious and must be diagnosed by a physician.
- Uterine Ruptures – Uterine ruptures are life-threatening and require immediate treatment.
- Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC) – Mothers who previously had a child using the caesarean method sometimes face a risk of health problems during a vaginal birth.
No matter what the circumstances of your birth injury, our attorneys can explain all the legal options after birth injury available to you and which one makes the most sense for your family.
Understanding your rights
You might think you don’t need a lawyer if your child was hurt due to mistakes made by medical professionals. Or perhaps you simply want to wait before you deal with all the legal issues often associated with such injuries.
But the longer you wait to take legal action, the harder it often becomes to find the facts you need to build a strong legal case. There are also many strict deadlines in Illinois, Wisconsin and other states outlining how long you have to take legal action before you forfeit that right.
You should also be aware that the medical institution responsible for your child’s injury probably isn’t waiting to start its investigation. And neither is its insurance company. They know that evidence builds strong legal cases and will take steps to protect themselves.
Passion for justice
Another important factor to consider – many doctors, nurses and hospitals are reluctant to admit they made a mistake. They might even try to claim you did something that resulted in your child’s injury.
The reason health care professionals and insurance companies often refuse to admit wrongdoing has to do with the amount of money at stake. If your child has a severe physical or mental impairment due to a birth injury, the financial impact could add up to thousands or millions of dollars.
We know what’s at stake. We know what matters. That’s why we want to help you. When you have our experienced, legal team on your side, we can negotiate with insurance companies for a reasonable settlement. And if they refuse to cooperate, we’re prepared to take them to court.
You deserve results that last a lifetime. You deserve justice. Contact us and find out how we can help your family. We offer a free case evaluation and have offices in downtown Chicago and Milwaukee to better serve you.